Royal Army List for Hail Caesar V1.1

The Royal army list for Lewes remains still under research as I have not started building this army yet. The only section I am satisfied is finished are the Scots foot, led by John Comyn - see my previous post on the Scots at Lewes. Consequently, John Baliol (the first) and Robert de Brus (The Competitor) are now placed with the King's household knights (bodyguard unit).

Once I finish the Rebel army (soon) I'll commence more research into knights at Lewes for the King's host. I predict there will be more iterations of this list into the future.

The wonderful aspect of Hail Caesar being a unit based game and the arbitrary nature of what is classified Small, Standard or Large means that I have been able to rationalised my figure numbers downwards. What difference does it make (for example) if I have ten more or less figures in a unit if it still falls within a category? It's more about unit size as measured in stamina and attack dice. This enables a real savings in time, money and effort to achieve numerical 'presence'. Have no fear, there will still be plenty more figures in the Royal army.

One thing to be aware of, the special rules I developed are aimed at shaping outcomes more aligned with what happened at Lewes on the day - without forcing an historical carbon copy. I still want this to be a game with chance and fortune playing an integral part. So, I have given Prince Edward a blood feud motivation making it more likely he will confront the London Militia head-on. The cavalry are less controllable - similar to the Black Powder 'Gallop at Everything' rule. I've given the Dragon Banner 'no quarter' to impose an influence over the army's willingness to charge the higher ground and I've put a bit of spice into the Scots for a bit of fun.

Lewes Royal Army List for Hail Caesar V1

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reserve Ward: Crossbow

RESERVE WARD KIGHTS: The Other Half

William de Goldingham: Research & Modelling